Sangguniang Panlungsod ng Baguio
Legislative power, or the power to make laws, is vested in the Sangguniang Panlungsod ng Baguio or Sanggunian.
The Sanggunian is the legislative branch of the City Government of Baguio mandated to enact ordinances, approve resolutions, and appropriate funds for the general welfare of the city and its inhabitants pursuant to Section 16 of Republic Act no. 7160 or the Local Government code of 1991.
As a policy making body, the City Council maintains an unwavering stance and steadfast resolve in establishing rules by which the people of Baguio are guided, and are necessary for the maintenance of a just, peaceful and orderly society. This body lays down the blue print for the common good and development towards a vibrant, progressive and God fearing Baguio Community.
The Sanggunian envisions "... quality legislation reflective of the aspirations of the people for a better quality of life in a clean and green environment".
To "enact ordinances, approve resolutions, and appropriate funds for the general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."
- Approve ordinances and passes resolutions necessary for good governance;
- Generates and maximizes the use of resources and revenuew for the development plans, program objectives and priorities of the city as provided for under Section 18 of Republic Act No. 7160 or the Local Government Code of 1991;
- Subject to the provisions of Book II of the Code, enacts ordinances granting frnchises and authorizing the issuance of permits or licenses, upon such conditions and for such purposes intended to promote the general welfare of the inhabitants of the city and pursuant to this legislative authority;
- Regulates activities relative to the use of land, buildings and structures within the city in order to promote the general welfare;
- Approves ordinances which shall ensure the efficient and effective delivery of the basic services and facilities as provided for under Section 17 of the Code; and
- Exercises such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be provided by law.